The Morris Canal ran alongside the Banister Manufactory in Newark, New Jersey. The history of the canal is rich and is worthy of a website devoted soley to it.
Below, are undated photos whose dates and authors are unknown.
The Morris Canal
Along this road there
once existed a part of the
Morris Canal constructed
prior to the railroad era.
It served as the main artery
of freight transportation
between Phillipsburg on the
Delaware and Jersey City.
This plaque is set in one
of the original canal stones.
Above: , Morris Canal Newark, N.J.
Above: Morris Canal boat shipmate
Above: Proposed view of the Morris Canal
Above: Four photographs of The Morris Canal, three of which show its location adjacent to the final Banister Shoes manufactory on Orange Street in Newark, New Jersey. Bottom left photo by: Henry B. Kummel, Old Newark Facebook page
The photograph, above, is a 200% enlargement of the photo above it (bottom left). Your Host noticed the name of Banister Shoes on the building and on the smokestack as she was examining this image at the higher magnification. The lamppost under which the man at the top of the bridge stands is particularly attractive. Although undated, this photograph was likely taken from 1920-1923 since the canal was filled in 1924.